APPLE VALLEY MEDICAL CENTER BEGINS FACILITY UPGRADE
January 22, 2018
Apple Valley, Minn. – January 17, 2018 – Enhancements to several areas of the Apple Valley Medical Center are underway, enabling the center to continue to provide a superior patient experience, according to Mark Pottenger, Administrator and Chief Operating Officer, Apple Valley Medical Clinic, the family medicine arm of the center.
“Because of the unique combination of family practice physicians and specialists on the same campus, we provide a continuum of care, especially for patients with complex medical needs,” said Pottenger. “Our goal is to have a new patient experience for the individuals who entrust the Apple Valley Medical Center with their health care.”
Changes to the Apple Valley Medical Center, many of which are based on patient input, will cost approximately $3 million. They include:
• Updated finishes throughout the lobby and clinic patient care areas
• A streamlined check-in desk with registration closer to the front door
• Enhanced exam rooms in Urgent Care
• A renovated area for lab work
• Easier access to Clinical Skin Therapeutics and skin care retail products, including a separate registration desk in the lobby
The Apple Valley Medical Center opened its doors in 1974 under the guidance of Peter Frederixon, MD; E. John English, MD; David Widdifield, MD; and David Maas, MD. Frederixon continues to see patients at the clinic. The founders established objectives that set the medical center on a path for growth, vowing to:
• provide high quality, comprehensive care for south suburban residents;
• build a team of family practice physicians committed to meeting the ongoing health care needs of patients and their families;
• ensure easily accessible and readily available medical care seven days a week;
• create a relationship with each patient and the community itself, based on integrity, involvement and communication.
The most recent renovation to the center took place in 2007, adding 20,000 additional square feet of space to family practice, Urgent Care and the United Specialty Center, including 35 new exam rooms. The pharmacy doubled in size at that time, the United Medical Imaging Center was added, and the parking ramp was expanded. In 2012, Courage Kenny Sports & Physical Therapy began seeing patients at the center.
“Despite the normal disruption caused by any construction, we intend to operate at normal capacity during this current renovation,” said Pottenger. “Patients are excited when they learn what this expansion will mean for their care and convenience in the future.” Construction is expected to conclude in the spring of 2018.
The Apple Valley Medical Center includes the independent Apple Valley Medical Clinic of 13 family practice physicians and six advanced practice providers serving patients from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday. It also includes an Urgent Care center open 365 days a year from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. In addition, through an affiliation with United Hospital, part of Allina Health, 30 specialty physicians see patients at the United Specialty Center, providing services in ankle and foot; cardiology; colon and rectal surgery; ear, nose and throat; general surgery; nephrology, ob/gyn; ophthalmology; orthopedics; orthopedic spine; podiatry and urology. The Apple Valley Medical Center also houses United Medical Imaging for digital mammography, ultrasound, CT and MRI scans; a full-service pharmacy; and physical therapy through Courage Kenny Sports & Physical Therapy – Apple Valley.