Lance Silverman, M.D.www.anklefootmd.com
United Specialty Center Ankle & Foot
Education & Certifications
- B.S., University of Illinois / Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL
- M.D., Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Henry Ford Health System Orthopaedic Residency, Detroit, MI
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery (AAOS)
Memberships, Awards & Special Appointments
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery (AAOS)
- The American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS)
- The Minnesota Orthopaedic Society (MOS)
- The Minnesota Medical Association (MMA)
Awards, Recognition & Special Appointments
- Awarded Orthopaedic Fellowship, Department of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Preceptor: Stephen F. Conti, MD, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa Society
- Chair of Minnesota chapter of Our Hearts to Your Soles, a charitable effort dedicated to providing free medical foot screenings, shoes and socks to the homeless
- Active in the Jewish Federation of Minnesota, Friends of the Israeli Defense Forces, Maimonides Society
- Member of numerous educational and cultural organizations
Why did you choose this field of medicine?
I chose to focus on ankle and foot orthopedics because I enjoy the variety and challenge presented by this subspecialty. There are fewer physicians in this field than in all other areas of orthopedics despite it being one of the most complex. Ankles and feet have more bones (28 per foot), joints (35), ligaments and tendons (hundreds) than any other body segment. With so many structures in such a small area, diagnosis is often challenging, and the procedures are exacting. These widely varied procedures include tendon and ligament reconstruction, arthroscopy, arthroplasty (joint replacement), osteotomy (cutting and reshaping bones for deformity correction), and tendon and nerve repair.
My practice is always fresh and interesting to me because no two patients’ issues are ever exactly the same. Helping solve those issues and seeing the difference it makes in their lives gives me a deep sense of satisfaction.